Who we are
Our congregation is made up of a wide variety of God's people, all of us sharing our relationship with Christ in common. On a given Sunday you'll find children, singles, families, grandparents and retirees worshipping together.
As stewards of the ministry God has entrusted to us, our church is led in by 7 Deacons, a Board of Trustees, the Pastor and various committees. Congregational involvement in the life of our church is energetic and essential for a healthy ministry among our own family and to the community at large.
We are involved in the Chester-Andover Ministerium (a group of local clergy) who lead a number of annual events (including Lenten services, Concerts of Prayer, and Baccalaureate services). We are a member congregation of the American Baptist Churches of Vermont and New Hampshire, and the pastor is a member of American Baptist Evangelicals.
What we believe
We at Chester Baptist are committed to:
- The authority, inspiration and reliability of the Scriptures, and to the responsible handling of the Word of God.
- The salvation and fullness of life uniquely offered through Jesus Christ.
- God's authority and grace in our every day lives, and the work of the Holy Spirit.
- Fostering a lifestyle of prayer, service, worship, study of the Bible, and fellowship with other believers.
- Witnessing to the power of salvation, and sharing the Good News at home and throughout the world.
- Bringing together reason and faith to meet today's challenges together in a mature, Christian community.
About the pastor
Rev. Tom Charlton graduated locally from Green Mountain Union High School in 1984, Colby College in 1988, and earned his MDiv. from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary as well as a Graduate Certificate in Biblical History from the Institute for Holy Land Studies in Jerusalem. He started as the full-time pastor here in 1992.